Discussion: The BMX Race training thread.Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 33  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
The BMX Race training thread.
May 12 2009, 11:55 PM EDT | Post edited: May 12 2009, 11:55 PM EDT
Ive been thinking that we needed this for a little while. So post your tips and ask your questions.

I have asked the World Famous Hamish Ferguson (Real live cycling coach with letters after his name showing he paid attention at school) to pop by from time to time to answer questions about training and fitness.

With a bit of luck we can get this into featured threads.

I will start out, whats the best things to eat to help my racing as Pies don't seem to help?
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
KB8
KB8
1. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 13 2009, 7:21 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 7:21 PM EDT
I have found that pies are a good training food...but only when washed down by a litre of chocolate milk....lol. No seriously you should be eating a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates and fats. Protein rebuilds the muscle that is broken down through training/riding and the human body prefers to use carbs for energy. These should be "clean carbs" not sugars ie: rice, pasta etc and wholegrain is better than highly processed white grains. We also need fats and the best sources for this are omega3 and 6s and fats from avocados etc. If you need to lose weight (FAT)then eating 6 smaller meals a day is better than 3 (or less) as your metabolism will speed up. For us over 40's eating foods that are close to their natural state is better than eating highly refined foods. Was this any help? Do you find this valuable?    
exbmx
exbmx
2. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 13 2009, 7:50 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 7:50 PM EDT
Bloody ell kev thats infomative!!you been doing some research on this ??bet ya gonna kick some ass next season!!I gave up the booze-- for water --and stopped eating takeaways, and snacking between meals for my training!! It helped me to also pratice heaps and also included press ups--welll one or two--now i have givin away my training regime everyone will be following my example(<I>) Do you find this valuable?    
KB8
KB8
3. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 13 2009, 8:23 PM EDT | Post edited: May 13 2009, 8:23 PM EDT
I have fitness intructors cert. to tell the truth. Plus for a few years was really into training and weights and read everything I could on training and nutrition. I went from 80kg to 118 and it was all down to what I ate and how I trained. Now I dont want to be that heavy (even on a 24inch!) so am changing weights programme etc to suit. My biggest problem with eating right is the shift work when its 2am and only the big M is open!!! Do you find this valuable?    
4. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 14 2009, 1:36 AM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 1:36 AM EDT
" I went from 80kg to 118 and it was all down to what I ate and how I trained. "
I did that too!!

Its amazing what a diet of pies and no exercise can do for you.

My biggest issue is time. But Ive decided to ride to work 2/3 times a week. Only problem is getting clean at the other end as my work does not have a shower. My guess is that it will be quicker than the bus or train which I use now. But no I wont be doing it on my BMX but a single speed road bike.
KB8
KB8
5. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 14 2009, 9:23 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 9:23 PM EDT
So I canhelp with nutrition and weights, can someone help with cardio training? Given we are all busy working people wanting to be fit enough to race competively, should I focus on sprint training or go on long rides? Your thoughts? Do you find this valuable?    
exbmx
exbmx
6. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 14 2009, 10:45 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 10:45 PM EDT
as your gate is good kev--i think its the -not looking behind to see where we are training--that you should concentrate on!! Do you find this valuable?    
7. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 14 2009, 11:38 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 11:38 PM EDT
"So I canhelp with nutrition and weights, can someone help with cardio training? Given we are all busy working people wanting to be fit enough to race competively, should I focus on sprint training or go on long rides? Your thoughts?"
To my understanding to train for explosive sprints which is what we do, you need to have a good base fitness. You get this through longer riders with lower heart rates. Strength for you would not be an issue with all the weights you do. But you can only do sprints with high heart rates periodically. To much will burn you out fast and have no improvement. During race season the once a week racing does this for you. I used to do time trials on road bikes and found I could only do good times if I raced every second week, every week was to much. I think I find this with BMX to (and ive got no base to work from). In your job with odd hours and having kids finding time for long rides is hard. Maybe an indoor trainer so you can sit in front of the TV at night? You can also do sprints on that. Im going to start riding to work, is that an option for you?
KB8
KB8
8. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 15 2009, 9:55 PM EDT | Post edited: May 15 2009, 9:55 PM EDT
Yeah I think building a base is where I have to start. Going to start going for jogs and long rides etc. Will get into sprints closer to the start of the season though. Do you find this valuable?    
9. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 16 2009, 5:36 PM EDT | Post edited: May 16 2009, 5:36 PM EDT
So an Hours ride yesterday and 2 hours today on my MTB.

Training has started.

Sleep time now.
MarcWillers
MarcWillers
10. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 24 2009, 7:21 AM EDT | Post edited: May 24 2009, 7:21 AM EDT
"Yeah I think building a base is where I have to start. Going to start going for jogs and long rides etc. Will get into sprints closer to the start of the season though."
you got that backwards.Fitness is the easier of the bunch to get so you want to do that one last/towards the new season.Your body holds on to strength and power for alot longer so you start with the heavy stuff.

Idea is to get strong first, then convert that into power and then blow yourself out with mammoth laps of the track 3-4 weeks out from the big race.

It all works the same whether its gym or sprints.when your doing strength at the gym you should also be doing strength based sprints ie: uphills deadman start.Then whe its the power zone....u catch my drift
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
SE68
SE68
11. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 24 2009, 6:09 PM EDT | Post edited: May 24 2009, 6:09 PM EDT
Hi Mark,
just a quick question.I need to improve my 2nd pedal out of the gate.My ankle has been broken 3 times.
Im in the gym&my leg strength on both legs is almost equal now.I was wondering if longer cranks may be the key?Im using 180mm now& im 6'1".I havent been clipping in,but I can if that will make a difference.
Its 9 weeks til the worlds....It would be good to have it sorted!
If you could help,that would rock.
Cheers
Steve.
KB8
KB8
12. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 24 2009, 10:56 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2009, 8:41 PM EDT
Thanks Marc that is great advice. Will let you know how it goes. Best of luck for your Supercross races.

KB
MarcWillers
MarcWillers
13. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 25 2009, 12:56 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2009, 12:56 PM EDT
Steve, hate to say it but but the only thing that will help your second pedal is practice.well other than doing some plyometrics,thats about the only off bike work u could do.cranks are fine,stick with what u like as if you change then you will be sacrificing something else.if u go longer u will loose leg speed.Clips probably wont help either,more often than not the first 3-4 pedals is all technique and if u line up a clips verse flats are normally pretty even.my tip is to lighten up on the effort of your first pedal,dont try so hard on it,keep the front wheel less than 6 inchs off the ground and just nurse it out keeping the pedal strokes smooth.i sure u will find the less u try the faster u will go.before u no it,u will have the technique down and would have put the full effort back in without even thinking about it.

video is a good help.coz when u are doing it right the pedals are turning over easier which makes you think your doing shit because theres no effort behind them.unlike when your gates are horrible you feel the burn on each revolution.

make sense?
MarcWillers
MarcWillers
14. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 25 2009, 12:58 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2009, 12:58 PM EDT
sadly i no all this because i too had some horrible gates until i was 20ish.lucky you got 9 weeks on your side Do you find this valuable?    
SE68
SE68
15. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 25 2009, 5:07 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2009, 5:07 PM EDT
Thanx Marc,
I ll put it into practice tomorrow.I fixed my gate(steel arm)on it now,the wood one kept breaking.
Cheers for the advice.
Just a quick note,Bmx Qld are putting up $10,000 for the pro class at the Qld titles(gold coast)in september.If you are keen to come over,give me a yell&we ll sort the entry forms&somewhere to stay.
Steve.
KB8
KB8
16. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 25 2009, 8:46 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2009, 8:46 PM EDT
Hey Marc, what do you consider your top exercises/training tips for power? Just trying to sort out 12 week strength/power training program! The strength part is no problem as my years as a boby builder taught me those, but converting to power for BMX has got me confused! Thanks, KB Do you find this valuable?    
MarcWillers
MarcWillers
17. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 30 2009, 2:15 PM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 2:15 PM EDT
"Hey Marc, what do you consider your top exercises/training tips for power? Just trying to sort out 12 week strength/power training program! The strength part is no problem as my years as a boby builder taught me those, but converting to power for BMX has got me confused! Thanks, KB"
sorry for the late reply. plyometrics is the big thing.between that and sprints you can't go wrong.base your sprints around your weaknesses.If you have a good start but get pulled at the bottom of the ramp then work your sprints around a rolling start at that spped where u drop off.undercastumble?

Big story is coming out anytime now at marcwillers.com :) keep your eyes on it!!
SE68
SE68
18. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 30 2009, 8:01 PM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 8:01 PM EDT
Hi Marc,
Ive got my stumpygate repaired,just finished a gate session,Ive tried clips for a change&im getting out a lot better.
I thought id give myself a challenge,1000 gates before the worlds.945 to go....
If you want to race the Qld titles in september,the entry forms will be on www.bmxq.org.au .there should be a good turnup with 10 grand up!Cya at the worlds,cheers.
exbmx
exbmx
19. RE: The BMX Race training thread.
May 31 2009, 6:54 PM EDT | Post edited: May 31 2009, 6:54 PM EDT
hey steve what country are you representing at the worlds??moral delima or financial delima!! hope you get the result you are training for!! Do you find this valuable?    
2 | Next